Skip to main content

Leslie's Lifeline by LoRee Peery


Lezlie’s Lifeline, Frivolities #5 by LoRee Peery

How did you come up with your premise? Is there a story behind your book? How did the story evolve?
One of my goals for 2011 was to write a novella. Nothing came to me until I realized I had an unattached character in Sage and Sweetgrass, Frivolities #3. Lezlie is Sage’s daughter, a single mom. I knew where Lezlie worked. She had never told her father who fathered her son. A tagline came easy: An accusation reunites Lezlie Diamond and Jordan Marshall – will a secret keep them apart? One thing led to another and I had a completed first draft in days. I always smile because I feel as though this story wrote itself.

For those who are not familiar with this story, would you please give us the blurb?
Lezlie Diamond and Jordan Marshall meet again after a disgruntled husband accuses Lezlie of allowing his wife to die. A night security officer at the hospital, Jordan sees Lezlie home safely. Her nervousness tells him she’s holding something back. Jordan was devastated when Lezlie disappeared from his life sixteen years ago. Now she’s back and he discovers her secret: the birth of their son. How can he ever trust her again? The two loves of Lezlie’s life unite. The teen immediately forgives his mother for her secrets and wants to know his father, but dare Jordan follow their son’s example and grant Lezlie a second chance?

Are there any fun tid-bits about this story you can share with us?
The names. My first choice of a name for my oldest daughter was Lezlie. (I’m so glad she’s Paige.) When I worked at UNL two of the French professors were Jordan S and Marshall O.

How did you decide on the setting?
Easy. It was established in the third book in the series. Lezlie works at a hospital in Lincoln.

When will it be released?
August 3, 2012

Buy Link: Note: This book is a Dollar Download

Review:  
In Frivolites book five, we catch up with Lezlie, Sage's daughter. The book, by very nature of being a dollar download is a quick read at just 34 pages. However, those 34 pages are packed with action, drama and romance in a way that pulls you in and just doesn't let you up for air. It's got the awww moments and the heart stopping moments, not to mention the 'the author did what???' moments. We meet new characters as well as the old friends from the previous books. This one has gone straight back into my TBR pile.
If you love LoRee Peery's books, don't miss this one.

The Interview began July 27, continues . . .

What books or authors have most influenced your own writing?
It depends on what I need at the time – how-to, inspiration, craft elements. Different pointers strike me at different times. I don’t read Stephen King’s fiction, but his On Writing is valuable. Everyone has a different process. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Gail Gaymer Martin’s Writing the Christian Romance was very helpful when I planned one of my books.

How do you come up with the titles to your books?
That’s a really good question. For the whole Frivolities series, except Found in the Woods, a character’s name is in the title. Don’t ask me why the heroes made it for the two books with older heroines. “Something” comes to mind, I write it down, nothing better pops up, and so far my editor agrees with what I submit.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
When nonfiction Nebraska essays were published in academic journals and anthologies.

What person or experience inspired you to become a writer?
My mom loved to read. My husband’s challenge. An uncle who said, “Your letters sound like you’re right here talking to me.” A really good friend named Frenchy.

Describe your writing space.
The room of my own came about when I took over my son’s room the third time he moved out. The closet houses filing cabinets, paperbacks in crates, my TBR pile, collage materials, and a shelf full of three-ring notebooks. Along the walls are eight oak bookcases, two handmade by my husband. My writing space is L-shaped, PC and computer desk on the right, an antique square table for my printer, a refinished antique writing desk with a stained-glass lamp, and an oak file cabinet on the left. When I’m immersed, the desktops are covered.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
I don’t think anything about Lezlie’s Lifeline was difficult, except maybe keeping the word count limited.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Read. Take walks. Play Scrabble or games with family. Go to movies. Spend time with writers.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
The eternal hope we have as believers in Jesus Christ.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
First thing I remember is a ballerina. Then a music teacher.

What do you do in your spare time? (Assuming you have any ;-) )
It’s been a long time since I have just sat outside and soaked up nature. I need to get back to doing that. But not this summer when we’ve had more 100-degree-days than I can remember. Hmmm, I think it is past time for a vacation.

What genre would you like to explore that you haven’t tried to write in yet? Will you? What would you never see yourself writing?
YA – it’s so popular right now and young teens are so impressionable. Only the Lord knows. Fantasy.

Do you really, really want a dog?
Have one, and I think Bogey will be our last. He’s a big, loveable yellow lab. But he sheds incessantly.

Do you hate how you look in pictures?
Hate is pretty strong. I don’t mind head shots but I feel as wide as I am tall any more.

Do you have any strange handwriting habits, like capitalizing all your “r”s or dotting your “I”s with heart (or anything like that)?
I mix printing and cursive and my lowercase Rs are really old-school.

What is your strangest habit?
Don’t you dare ask one of my kids. Maybe “singing” hello when I answer the phone?

You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be?
My father’s murder.

When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?
I’m leaving the house without mascara and I don’t care.

What were you doing at midnight last night?
Reading until “the end.”

What’s a saying you use a lot?
God is God and I am not.

Have you ever eaten a crayon?
Probably, but I don’t remember how it tasted.

What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
Boxelder bugs.

What is your favourite animal?
A wolf.

What do you want to know about the future?
That’s too scary.

What is your heritage?
German American.

Have you ever cried during a movie?
Usually.

Do you sleep with the light on?
My hubby needs a couple night lights on. I usually “see” what’s in the house ahead of me.

What is your favourite pizza?
As much cheese as fits and green olive.

Are you a morning person or a night person?
Night. It’s best not to talk to me until I’ve had a cup of coffee.

If you were granted three wishes by a genie, what would they be?
I’d see all my loved ones in heaven some day. My house would always be clean. Twenty pounds would vanish.

If you could go anywhere to tomorrow, where would you go?
The Black Hills, The Rockies, or Idaho, where the evenings are cool.

If you could see anyone tomorrow (dead or alive), who would it be?
My mom. She would love knowing that I’m an author. I can see her smile as I put this down.

Comments

LoRee Peery said…
Clare, thanks for the opportunity to be at the other end of your oh-so-interesting interview. Blessings to you.

Popular posts from this blog

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he