Skip to main content

Shadow Remnant by Michael Duncan

 Today on my blog I’d like to welcome back Pastor Michael Duncan. He wrote the Book of Aleth series you can find on Pelican BooksBut today I want to tell you about his new book, Shadow Remnant.
 

Blurb:
When truth is lost, liberty dies.

For a hundred years the United States has been gripped by martial law, with freedom and faith a forgotten memory. In the summer of 2132, Peter Sheridan learns this the hard way when he finds himself on the wrong side of the government–but the right side of freedom.

All he wants to do is escape the notorious education center and find his parents. But when he is shot and left for dead, he is rescued by a mysterious recluse and finds himself drawn into a world of chaos and intrigue.

Racing against time and the government to try and complete his father’s mission—Peter must reignite the call for freedom. To do so, he turns to the last hope for America, the mysterious group known as the Shadow Remnant.


Review:
An amazing read that keeps you gripped to the pages. I laughed and cried and read long into the night on two occasions. Mr. Duncan has crafted an incredible story with plot twists a plenty, as Peter discovers the truth and then tries to keep the truth from being buried again.

Interview:
Welcome to the blog, Michael.

M: Thank you! It is great to be here.

Are you a plotter or a pantser when you write?

M: Actually… a little bit of both. I begin a new story with an overarching theme that I want to explore, then put a setting together and stick characters in it. After that, it’s all “by the seat of your pants” writing – exploring along with the characters. I often feel as if I’m simply watching the story unfold page by page, and just writing it as I see it.

As a pastor do you find it hard not to preach when you write fiction, or is writing fiction a welcome respite from sermons? ;-)

M: Not really. I don’t find it hard to preach when I’m writing fiction – because I’ve been doing both for so many years. I’ve been preaching for over 25 years, and it is what God has gifted me to do. But I am also called by God to write – and my love is to write fiction. It does become a welcome respite, not from sermon writing (I love to do that), but from grappling with all of the other challenges of ministry.

Can you tell us briefly how you became a Christian? And a pastor?

M: I’ll try, but I’ve not ever been accused of being brief. As to becoming a Christian, it happened while I was serving in the United States Air Force. I was stationed in California, and my roommate was a Christian. Now, before this, I had heard of Jesus from a very close and dear friend who had prayed for me for many years (we knew each other in High School). So, this roommate of mine continually pressed me to come with him to a weekly Bible study that he attended. After several months of this, I finally relented and went with him. It was at the Bible study that I learned about the tragic state I was in without Christ, and, after several weeks of participating in the Bible study, I finally yielded my life to Christ and received His mercy and Forgiveness. I hope this was brief enough.

Now, for becoming a pastor, that is also a long story. It begins with the first Scripture I ever memorized, Colossians 1:28-29, “We proclaim Him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all His energy, which so powerfully works in me.” Who would have thought that such a statement would become the life-verse of all that God called me to become! So, while in the military, I began working as a volunteer with the base chapel. My chaplain saw in me something that I didn’t and he asked me to fill in for him—to preach at a rescue mission in a nearby town. Reluctantly, I agreed and went to the down-and-out of society and brought them the word of God. Three men came to believe on Jesus that night and my chaplain was there (he snuck in to listen). He came up to me and told me that he believed I was called and gifted to preach God’s word and that I needed to pursue the work of ministry. So, after several other confirmations from many Godly men, I embraced God’s call and started my long, arduous journey into the world of being a pastor. There is much more to the story – but I’m trying to be brief again.

Where did the inspiration for Shadow Remnant come from?

M: It came from the 2008 election cycle here in the United States. I hold very deeply to the ideals of truth and liberty and I began to witness both falling away with the state of our nation. So I began to write a story, depicting what America might become if we continue down a road away from truth and liberty. And, what would need to be done to reignite the fires of freedom in the heart of the American people. So, with that, I created Peter Sheridan, a young man who discovers the truth for himself and has his life thrust into a mission to bring it to light.

I love the way each chapter has a verse that summarises the events of that chapter perfectly. Which came first? The chapter or the verse? (that sounds very Biblical somehow lol)

M: The chapter did. I added those verses to the opening of the chapters to help the reader understand the Biblical underpinnings of all that I was writing.

You left the book on kind of a cliff hanger. Is there going to be a sequel?

M: Yes… the “cliffhanger” was intentional – because I wanted the final words of the first book to be the first words of the Constitution of our United States. There will be a sequel.

How long am I going to have to wait?

M: Years and years! Just kidding. I’m working on the sequel even now. I hope to have it done by next year.

What are you currently writing?

M: I am working on three novels right now and two non-fiction books. The novels are first, a sequel to my “Book of Aleth” series, second, a medieval mystery and the third one, of course, is the sequel to Shadow Remnant. The non-fiction books deal with the current issues facing the church.

Where can people find you on line?

M: Please come and visit me! You can find me, my books, sermons and other things at my website – http://www.michael-duncan.net.

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to talk to us J

You can pick up a copy of the book here:

Buy links:



And while you’re there how about picking up A Life Worth Living for only a few pence




Many wonder about the significance of their life - is it really worth living. God has given us life, and He wants us to live with great purpose and vitality.

In this little book, you will discover the value of life and what might be hindering it. If you listen, you will hear God calling you to a life worth living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he