Skip to main content

Rescue Me by Sandy Nadeau




Meet the author, Sandy, who bravely opted for the infamous author interview.

How did you come up with your premise? Is there a story behind your book? How did the story evolve?
Rescue Me came about after my hubby’s years as a volunteer firefighter. It was originally going to be in a group of four novellas with other writers, but that never sold. When we split up, I added to the story (which isn’t as easy as it sounds) to make it longer and eventually sold that to Pelican Book Group, who contracted my first book, Red Gold. I’m glad I had the chance to add to it so that it could evolve into the message that it brings now. It has much deeper meanings in it with the additions. God knew it needed to be on its own. We lived in Colorado and knew the Rocky Mountains really well, so tying the two, experience with location, worked out well. There’s a lot of description of setting in it that readers seem to enjoy.

For those who are not familiar with this story, would you please give us the blurb?
I love the tag line, “Risking her life to save him is easy. Risking her heart to give him a second chance is impossible.” Here is the back cover info:
First Responder Ronnie Spencer has a no-dating firefighters rule. She lost her father to a fire, and won't risk the heartbreak of losing someone else. But when Steve McNeal returns, Ronnie's heart is tested. How can she swear-off dating a firefighter when she has to work with the one man she used to love?
When the unthinkable happens, Ronnie has doubts. How can a loving God allow tragedy to stalk her life again? As her faith wavers, Ronnie must decide. Will their blossoming relationship be quickly extinguished by the very thing she feared, or will Ronnie trust God and allow her heart to be rescued—even if that means giving it to a firefighter?

Are there any fun titbits about this story you can share with us?
The scene where the firefighters try to humble the rookie Troy, that really happens. lol

How did you decide on the setting?
Having lived in and loved Colorado for thirty years, and how much adventure there is in that state, I like to use that as a setting in my stories. The beauty of God’s creation, the wildlife, the exploration, I just want to share what that’s like with people. It’s an amazing place.

When will it be released?
It released on June 1 of this year so it is available right now.


And now some more personal insights…

Where were you born?
I was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but we moved by the time I was two so I don’t remember anything about it.

What is the funniest thing that ever happened to you or you witnessed that made you laugh so hard you couldn’t catch your breath?
I was in my fenced in yard in Colorado a couple of years ago watching a herd of elk that were moving through the area. We had an empty lot behind us, so we would frequently get elk and deer (along with bears, cougars, fox and about any other critter). I went out with my camera which I often did. I was getting some great shots when the bull, who was in the rut, turned down off the road and headed into the field. He was huge so the photos I was getting were amazing! Figuring I was safe behind my chain link fence, little did I know that my presence was not welcomed by him. He seemingly ignored me as he trotted down the small hill, suddenly he turned and came straight in my direction. There was a fence post outside of our chain link fence and he very well may have thought that was me. I had the video rolling when he charged. I have never run that fast in my life. Thankfully my back door was fairly close along with a large tree and a bush, so I hoped I had a good chance. He didn’t jump the fence, thank you Jesus, and the video is quite comical as I ran. I sure didn’t have time to shut it off. Once behind my back door, I busted out laughing as I tried to get my heart to calm down. So not only was I laughing, but I couldn’t catch my breath either. For a longgggggggg time.

What hidden talent do you possess outside of writing... something you do for fun, but are good at?
I love to do woodworking. I’ve done some lathe work that my dad taught me how to do. He’s an amazing artist with wood. I love to build things. My husband and I built and designed an amazing railing at our old house out of aspen branches. Colorado has a lot of aspen trees and the wood is amazing. I love wood. It’s fascinating how the different grains and colors meld through a board.

What are you most passionate about, other than writing?
Being here for my grandchildren. Being a part of their lives. Helping them to grow in the Lord.
Feeding toddlers is a whirlwind experience, getting it prepared, cut small, into their respective chairs, I get pretty frazzled and sometimes forget to ask for a blessing. My two year old granddaughter will look at me with this expression that is hilarious and fold her hands all with a mouthful of food, to remind me we need to pray. Which we do. She cracks me up. So it might be me growing in the Lord more than them.

What got you interested in writing?
I’ve always liked to write. I wrote a lot in high school. Always journaled. But I also think it’s a bit hereditary. My mom writes so much, mostly about her childhood during the depression years. And her mom, my grandmother, wrote a lot too in her later years. Writing and being published has always been a dream.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block? If so, what do you do about it?
I do. I have been for a little while now. Mostly because life got overwhelming. We had been planning the move to Texas for a long time so we could be near our grandkids. So with packing up a house after 30 years in it and all the details of a major move my writer brain sort of shut down. And now I’m having so much fun with the grands, but I’m slowly getting back into writing. I had a lot of guilt about it for a while, but a dear friend said to me, “It just isn’t the time. Give yourself a break and you’ll get back to it.” That helped a lot to release the struggle.

Who is your favourite author and why?
Tracie Peterson is at the top of the list. She is solid in her research and storytelling. Love her characters too. She endorsed Rescue Me, much to my delight, so she’s pretty special. My writing hero. There are so many amazing writers out there, especially in the Christian market.

Are you working on anything at the present you’d like to share with us?
I have a couple of things going. One involves grandparents (write what you know) and the other involves wood. But that’s all I’m going to tell you. *grins*

Do you really, really want a dog?
I really, REALLY want a dog. We’ve always had a dog. Our last one died a couple years ago. He was the best and smartest dog we’ve ever had. He was an Aussie mix so his intelligence was really remarkable. He truly knew what I was saying to him all the time. I’m very hard of hearing, so it helped a lot to have him in my life. Now that we’ve settled into a new home, I see a new dog in our future. Gus will be hard to replace though. Dogs are just the best! I don’t know how I’ve gone this long without one. The companionship and loyalty can’t be beat.

When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?
I’ve had the flu for a couple of days so it was a frightening sight. Let’s just leave it at that.

What is your heritage?
Norwegian and German. My great-grandfather was Ole Olson and he married Nicolena Sven. Everyone thinks I’m about to make a joke, but that truly was their names. There’s a lot of German on both sides of the family. This would be why I was stubborn enough to keep trying to get published.

Do you sleep with the light on?
Never! It has to be pitch black. If I sense any light at all, I can’t sleep. I can see it through my thin Norwegian eyelids. The time is covered on our radio alarm clock, no night lights to find our way, no light at all. And if the moon is bright, heaven help me. Towels over the blinds. 


You can buy Rescue Me here:






Bio:




Sandy Nadeau loves to go on adventures, photograph them and equally loves to write about them. She and her husband did a lot of four-wheeling in the back country of Colorado and shared those experiences with others by taking them up in the mountains. Her writing experience includes a community news column in a small newspaper for twelve years, magazine articles and two novels with adventure, mystery, romance, but most importantly sharing God’s love. She is currently a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers. Married for a whopping 40 years, she and her husband are loving life as grandparents to their three grandchildren after the big move to Texas. Travel is their favorite thing to do and they don’t get to do it as often as they’d like. Adventure awaits around every corner, over every hill and mountain.

You can find Sandy here:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author interview - Nicola Beaumont

Today we have author Nicola Beaumont with us. Nicola has written several books including The Lighthouse which I am spotlighting today. BLURB: DANGEROUS LIAISON... Rachel is in love with her best friend, but when Malachi doesn't seem interested, she turns to an international stranger whom she meets on the internet. At first, conversation is just a pastime, but soon, romantic fantasies form in her mind. Why not consider a man who travels across an ocean to meet her-a man who makes her feel wanted? After all, Malachi might as well be a world away-even if his concern does seem genuine when he warns her about the intriguing Frenchman. RESCUE ON THE WAY... Malachi has sworn not to interfere in Rachel's relationship, but he's in love with the head-strong woman who is determined to continue her budding romance...Yet, Malachi senses something isn't right about the playboy who has suddenly consumed Rachel's time, so he vows to save her from the stranger-and herself-even

Falling Forever by Katherine Robles

  Blurb Hillary is stifled by an entry level IT job in the Virginia suburbs and longs to move to Washington D.C. where she can make a difference in the world. When Javier comes to her rescue in Great Falls National Park, Hillary likes everything about him except for the gorgeous fiance hanging on his arm. But things are not as they seem and he enlists her help to renovate a homeless shelter. Romance blossoms over paintbrushes and pipes until a career launching opportunity arises. Hillary can chase her dreams, but they might cost her Javier’s heart.       Excerpt Javier cast a shadow over her placemat as he delivered her glass of water. He rounded the table, apparently unaware that the whole family was watching him with interest. When he got to the other side of Mom, Hillary willed him to make eye contact and gave a little wave in greeting. “Hi,” she said. Javier retracted the hand that was lowering Coryn’s water. His lips parted like a curtain to reveal his pearly whites. “Well, if it

Wooing Gertrude by Jodie Wolfe

  Blurb   Enoch Valentine has given up finding peace for his past mistakes. He throws everything he has into being the new part-time deputy in Burrton Springs, Kansas while maintaining the foreman position at a local horse ranch. But when trouble stirs on the ranch, he questions whether he's the right man for either job. Peace has been elusive for most of Gertrude Miller's life, especially under the oppressiveness of an overbearing mother. She takes matters into her own hands and sends for a potential husband, while also opening her own dress shop. Gertrude hopes to build a future where she'll find peace and happiness. Will either of them ever be able to find peace?   First Page Peek   Burrton Springs, Kansas August 4, 1877   Gertrude Miller’s life couldn’t get any better. She grinned, patting her pocket. Her fingers traced the two skeleton keys. After months of planning and preparing she finally had moved into her own place a week ago, away from the overbearing reach of he